Sunset

Sunset

Friday, March 25, 2011

Audition

Wednesday afternoon I had an audition at TAMUCC. I had been emailing and calling around to see about singing the national anthem at the spring 2011 graduation. I finally heard back from the coordinator and was able to schedule an audition to sing in front of the head of the music department and a vocal professor. I was very nervous but excited at the opportunity. I usually sing with my twin sister Jessica so I have no reason to be nervous. I am not usually alone so this nervousness was something new for me. I arrived 15 minutes early because I hadn't been in the CA in a long time so I wanted to make sure that I could find the office. Then I waited for 25 minutes and finally 10 minutes after my appointment time, I auditioned.
I sang the Star Spangled Banner in my own unique way. I had spoken to several friends of mine and they had given me some ideas of singing it in my own way to stand out from the traditional ways of singing it. Still I followed the traditional format of the song but I added my own little spark to it. I thought this would help but instead after I sang it once in my own way, the "judges" if you will call them that, asked me to sing it more traditionally. The end result was a success because after I sang it three times, they were happy to let me sing it for the spring commencement. I am very happy because I am graduating with the inaugural class for the Master of Arts in Communication program and I think this will make our graduation special!!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That is so exciting! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! So exciting for you and what a wonderful way to celebrate your graduation. I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete